Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 11 - Foundation Repairs Session 1

Today I have spent quiet bit of time on repairing multiple cracks in the concrete foundation.
Not sure if the concrete was poured in winter but it has developed about 11 cracks, where average house has 3-5 tops. I didn't noticed any of them leaking but some of them showed some moisture getting through and few of them can be seen outside on the exterior. Other ones are just hairline thin and that makes them very difficult to be treated via polyurethane injection.

I did prepared cracks few days before what included hammering the uneven concrete and using metal brush to clean them and then wipe them clean. It was 4-6 hrs total I did spent on that.

After getting the full kit from U.S from
http://www.radonseal.com/crack-injection/diy-injection.htm
which cost $430 (that included $50 shipping via UPS) and then total of $90 of duty and brokerage fee by UPS I have received enough product to treat 30ft of linear cracks.

I was able to fill 4 of fairly big cracks with that and still have couple tubes left.
I have learned that ports have to very well attached and covered with epoxy as well as the crack itself, as if there is a weak spot the pressure of injecting will blow the port and make the whole job not only messy but difficult to continue. The polyurethane will start reacting and won't make further injection possible to the same port. I had few ports that I couldn't make the product leak from the port above and just closed it after I felt there is no more polyurethane going in.
Corner crack was very difficult to attach the ports to and I had a lot of difficulty to inject the product I have to admit that crack was very thin.

I'd like to note that it's a very slow process time for epoxy to dry also patience is a key as it takes 5-10 min or longer to go from port to port.

I had to order refill of the product and some extra ports that will cost me in total of about $400 should be about $100 cheaper and I should get 50 ports extra. I have learned when used closer together about 6" apart then 8" apart it's much easier to inject product.

It is very slow process and time is needed for epoxy to dry; also patience is a key as it takes 5-10 min or longer to go from port to port

Time spent:

Cleaning and prep work: 5 hours
Treating 4 cracks about 8-10 ft long each: 14 hrs
Cost: $900

The average quote to treat 1 crack is about $500 dollars and with discount for multiple I was still looking at about $4000 in repairs of my foundation, I guess spending $900 dollars doesn't sound too bad.





No comments: